Date: July 20, 2018
JOB TITLE: FC – Harm Reduction Educator/Counsellor-Street Outreach Program
Permanent Position: 1.0 fte Street Outreach Program
START DATE: July 30, 2018
JOB SUMMARY: Key role in providing education to community, client population, service providers and general public. Provides supportive counselling services, referral and support, participates in community development, leads training for local service providers, promotes harm reduction and supports peer engagement in the program. The Harm Reduction Counsellor position is also responsible for the administration and supports accountability to meet reporting requirements.
WAGE: As per Union Contract – CUPE 523 – Grid Level 14 - this position requires union membership
LOCATION: CBS Site / Community /Co-located site
HOURS OF WORK: Days, evenings and on weekends as per program timetable
• Develop and provide education sessions for key stakeholders, target population, general community and community partners
• Provide “outreach” harm reduction services in designated partner agencies, rural communities and /or hot spots in the community
• Provide brief supportive counselling and harm reduction resources and information during outreach and provide ongoing support, practical assistance and appropriate referrals to services as appropriate and needed
• Coordinate and manage the distribution of harm reduction resources. This includes overseeing adequate program coverage, opening/closing procedures, and inventory oversight.
• Provide clients with easily accessible and low threshold services that operate within the harm reduction framework. This includes assisting clients with accessing support services such as primary care, substance use treatment, behavioral health services, homeless shelters and legal advocacy.
• In collaboration with community partners develop and coordinate point of care HIV/HCV testing
• Provide training on overdose prevention and naloxone distribution.
• Directly respond to client needs and crisis situations as appropriate.
• Provide support counselling to Harm reduction clients & Peer workers as needed
• Participate in Action Teams, HART, and other identified committees
• Develop and deliver training for all harm reduction staff and volunteers.
• Identify harm reduction training needs of local service providers and provide or facilitate relevant training opportunities;
• Provide education and coordination for student placements for field work practice and/or observation
• Participate in regular supervision and team meetings, and agency required meetings or events
• Maintain records, reports, and statistics necessary for program functioning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
• Other duties as required
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
• 4 year Social Services degree
• Three to five years relevant harm reduction experience in a community setting working with homeless and marginalized populations including people with mental health issues and people who use drugs
• Strong knowledge of harm reduction and opioid overdose prevention strategies.
• Significant knowledge of health-related social issues faced by people who use drugs.
• Demonstrated experience facilitating support groups and educational programming
• Self-directed, motivated and flexible with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Experience working with community members and peers and in providing education and outreach.
CLOSING DATE: Friday July 27th 2018 – 12:00 noon
Forward updated resume, including relevant training and experience to Jan Shumay.
This Posting Is Open to All Genders